My repertoire of Violette Fields dresses is growing but not fast enough! There are so many patterns I want to try and they keep launching more! Before Beth went away, I asked her to choose some fabric and a pattern that she liked for a special dress. She chose the Loralie.
I love making dresses. There is something so lovely and satisfying about the layers of fabric and construction all coming together to form something so beautiful. Although Beth had chosen Lecien Flower Sugar Spring 2013 – Aqua on White Small Bouquets as her fabric choice, it took me painstaking days to make a decision about the coordinating panels (Flower Sugar Spring 2015 – Buds Yellow and Flower Sugar Spring 2015 – Bloom Red)! Eeeek! Anyway, I think it has come out just right. And I found these sweet little covered buttons for the back to tie in nicely.
I loved making the pleating on the bodice and surprisingly it was not hard. Just a lot of folding but they provide you with a little cut-out guide that makes it easy-peasy.
I’m not sure about the size… I made an 8 and went with 10 length as Beth is tall. Her mum and I both think it could have gone longer. In the end I also used a rolled hem to save as much fabric for length as possible.
Before Beth arrived in Sydney I made Bug take some shots in case we didn’t get an opportunity with the real model. Although it’s obviously too wide, I prefer the length and where the waist band sit on her.
So perhaps I will simply know for next time when I make Bug her own Loralie, to go up a size or two in length. I suppose it’s simply personal preference…
Either way, Beth was happy and also very happy with her new bun piece that can turn the thinnest hair into a glorious top-knot!