Following my Sencha blouse disappointment, I needed a pick-me up to get me back on the horse sewing for myself. It just so happened there was an Oliver + S sew-along happening a couple of weeks back for the Cappuccino dress. I began as the group did, but soon fell behind as I had a hectic week! But by the weekend I was done and in love with my new outfit. This is a pretty easy sew with gathers at the front under the yoke and lined pockets (you can just make them out in the image below).

Super super comfy despite a slight tightness across the back after my first sew. Why a girl doesn’t try these things on before finishing seams I will never know! Needless to say I went back, sewed as close as I could to my serging and then unpicked the original back and side seams! (I gained about a centimetre, but that made all the difference). Next time I think I will just cut the back piece without the middle seam (as it is serves no real purpose) and this will give me a little extra wiggle room.

cappucino_dress3

My fabric is a Japanese voile I bought some time ago at Spotlight and have been eyeing off in my stash for about 6 months, wondering if it would make a blouse for me or a dress for Bugs. I won out and decided on a dress anyway. The lining is an Andover orange chambray. Here, you can see my lined pockets…

cappucion_dress1

I’m not a big fan of 3/4 sleeves so I went with the tunic short sleeve option. Hubby and I decided at the finish it looked a bit nightie-esque, so hence I used my favourite Oliver + S technique to add a band at the hem as well. I think it gives it a little more finish.

cappucino_dress2

I love this dress so much I can’t help myself having a little wee look at Hawthorne Threads and what’s available… 😉

p.s. If you haven’t noticed, my blog theme keeps changing! I’m on the search for the ultimate free WordPress theme! What one excels in, disappoints in some other way. So I keep trialling. Would love your feedback!

Advertisements