I am dying to make more outfits for myself and first up was some new blouses to go with my Lotta skirt from Compagnie M. I started collecting Colette patterns during a recent sale. I love the style so much! So vintage, so classic, so romantic. So not how the experience went!sencha_web1

I chose the Sencha blouse as my first foray into Colette. With a few try-ons along the way it seemed to be going well until I did my final fitting to determine the button placement. Horrible!

It was then that I realised darts at the top and waist just fluffed the fabric out at my stomach and looked completely unflattering. The chest section was really firm and seemed to flatten any sort of bust I have (which let’s face it, is not much!). I shortened the darts a little which certainly helped the bustline but I still was really unhappy with the waist.

sencha_web4

I am so in love with this fabric I decided it was essential to make the top work rather than adhere to the pattern so I removed the waist darts from the front and now it is wearable. It was then that I started googling Sencha tips and found a swathe of bloggers complaining of similar issues and the massive alterations they made to make their tops sit well.

Too much effort ladies! This is exactly what I feared venturing away from kids sewing to adult sewing. Poor fitting garments that put me off persevering!

I also was not a fan of the idea of hand sewing sleeve and back seams as suggested. To me this reinforces a handmade looking garment and I worry how it will face up to the wash, because seriously, I don’t have time for delicate hand washing! In the end, I went ahead and used my machine for all seams. I realise this takes away from the look they are trying to achieve at the sleeve but my sewing is about function and brevity right now.

There is no mention of finishing seams in the instructions, so I serged where I thought it needed it, but there are two spots on the base of the sleeves that are still raw and seem to be fraying as I look at them!

Like others, I felt the sleeves were too tight (lengthened the sleeve hole, this incidentally helped the line of the top too) and and the neckline too high.

sencha_web3

My main joy of this top was attaching my raspberry lolly buttons as I like to call them. They have featured in my matching skirt and in Buggy’s first Hopscotch skirt in the larger size. And, oh the fabric! It’s Abalone in Coral voile by Cloud9 fabrics.

sencha_web2

So delicious which is more I can say for this sewing exercise! Yes, I’m sorry, I feel annoyed writing this post, I felt annoyed sewing the blouse, I felt annoyed photographing it!

I guess the lesson is, time to start making some muslins first! And so I went and bought some remnant rolls for $2 each from my local sewing store at their moving sale this week. I do hope to get to my other Colette patterns one day, but I might need a little coaxing from some other sewers who have achieved success!

 

 

Advertisements