When I was little through to my teen years, I spent my quiet time (ok, tv viewing time) plonked on two large floor cushions with batik covers from our Singapore days. Being nostalgic, I planned to make those same cushions for my home and even bought the fabric on a recent trip to Bali. But in this new house with our first designated toy room, I’ve wanted to create a room with a fresh popsicle palette for my little guys. Still, the idea of giving them something to rest and roll on was still on the agenda.
I used Dana’s Rollie Pollie pattern which makes HUGE round cushions with handy straps for pulling and pushing them where you need them even if this means on top of one another for kamikaze jumping.
Dana even makes a point in her instructions, make sure you make those seams real strong for the antics that will ensue. She was right! Bugs’ first move was a hurtling run and forward roll onto her Pollie, narrowly missing the corner of the coffee table with her skull.
The pattern is simple and effective – two end circles attached to four side panels, plus the strap. These babies are an easy and forgiving sew, I know because I was rather rough with my pattern cutting. Over New Year’s I cut the pattern out at our family’s farm. I made a mistake in the sizing, there’s no access to computer or printer to rectify the situation, and being the gung-ho sewer I am (take after my Dad, just gotta get things done!) I pressed on. Needless to say, my end circles ended up an inch or so too small which meant a generous tuck on both inner and outer cover. But really, who’s checking?! My squirrels? No they’re too busy jumping and whooping!
Yee haa! Again? Again?
Fabrics: the yellow chevron is a Riley Blake home dec basic and can you believe that delicious pastel choc drop is a no-name from Spotlight?! I filled my Pollies with a mixture of foam beans, softie stuffing, fabric offcuts and finally a HUGE bag of crumbed foam. It takes way more than you expect and I kept filling and filling and filling. I think a combo of foam beans and crumbed foam is the way to go, but the crumbed FOAM is super messy. Just warning you!
Biggest challenge, sewing up the inner cover once stuffed. Let me recommend you give yourself plenty of table space next to your machine for the RP to sit on while you sew. I did not, and ended up balancing it on my left thigh in the air while I had my right foot on the sewing pedal. Hmm, no floor contact? That took good balance! I wasn’t happy with the quantity of stuffing for my first bag so I actually unpicked the inner cover by a hand width and stuffed it some more. (Might be why I ended up with so much crumbed foam across the house). The second bag I ripped the outer seam trying to get my over-stuffed inner bag into its outer cover. So the moral of the story is, I reckon you 3/4 fill your bag, sew it up mostly, put on the outer cover and with the zip open, fill it up a little more until the final sew. What to do when it comes time to wash the covers I’m not sure. It will be a fight to get these babies back in afterwards!
I’m still going to make those batik cushions for our lounge room one day, but in the meantime the sight of these two and their books on their Rollie Pollies warms my heart!